AA Negotiations Update – May 13
Sisters and Brothers,
The Mechanic & Related/Stores and Fleet Service Negotiating Committees met with American Airlines the week of May 9 in Washington, D.C. The committees received a visit from TWU International President and Association Vice Chair, Harry Lombardo, on Tuesday. He addressed the committee with his thoughts, and restated his commitment and support to the Association and these negotiations.
Mechanic & Related/Stores Update
During this week’s sessions, your negotiating committee exchanged and discussed the following articles:
- Hours of Service: We exchanged this proposal with the company and engaged in discussions on this article specific to Rebids (Bids).
- Training: We continued to work on this article to prepare for our response to the company’s proposal.
- Shift Swaps: We received an answer to this proposal from the company and are dissatisfied with their response. The issue is narrowed down to a single item and we have provided a reasonable solution, but the company is currently unwilling to move from its position and has not provided any reasonable argument to support its stance. Your committee has decided to put this article aside in an effort to continue moving these negotiations forward and will revisit this article in the future.
- Hours of Service—MCT-MTS: We have received counter proposals from the company and continue to work on these articles.
|Purpose||Preamble||Safety & Health|
|Bulletin Boards||Uniforms||MCT-Dress Attire|
|Sick Leave||Leaves of Absence||Part TimeEmployees/Eliminated|
|Absence from Duty||Representation||Probationary Period|
|Management Rights||No strike / No Lockout||Fitness for Duty|
Recognition of Rights
System Board of
The parties have agreed to the negotiations schedule below for the next two months:
|Week of May 16, DFW||Week of June 13, DFW||Week of June 27, DFW|
|Week of May 23, DFW||Week of June 20, DCA|
|Jason Best||Mike Bush||Ken Coley||John Coveny|
|Dale Danker||Mark Huffman||Bennie Martino||Gary Peterson|
|Larry Pike||Sean Ryan||Jay Sleeman||Mark Strength|
Fleet Service Update
The company still has not provided us with any new proposals on the articles from our openers in December 2015. They have also not responded with counterproposals to any of the outstanding articles. The only thing American Airlines
management has done is continue to propose unacceptably weak contract language in articles throughout the agreement, and we will continue to reject such proposals.
This week, the Fleet Committee offered the following counterproposals:
- We have made our counter proposal on Shift Trades to provide enhancements for the membership.
- We countered the company’s proposal on Hours of Work, and after several table discussions, the company is reviewing our language.
- We countered the company’s proposal on Work Schedules, and after several table discussions, the company is reviewing our proposal.
- We informed the company that we are not interested in Temporary Employees and our position has not changed to eliminate this provision. The company is currently unwilling to move from their position, with arguments that are baseless and contentious.
- The company has refused to change their position on the Sick Leave article. Your committee refuses to allow the company to treat us like second-class citizens regarding this important aspect of our contract.
While several articles remain unresolved, rest assured we will continue to fight for the best possible agreement for the members: we refuse to back down.
Our future Fleet negotiations dates and locations are as follows:
|Week of May 16, DFW||Week of June 27, DFW||Week of August 8, DFW|
|Week of May 23, DFW||Week of July 18, DCA||Week of August 22, LGA|
|Week of June 13, DFW||Week of July 25, LGA||Week of August 29, DCA|
|Week of June 20, DCA||Week of August 1, DFW|
|Mike Baskett||Mike Fairbanks||Pete Hogan||Tim Hughes|
|Mike Mayes||Steve Miller||Brian Oyer||Pat Rezler|
|Art Risley||Andre Sutton||Rodney Walker||Bill Wilson|